for those on the fence about hearing protection..

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Wed Mar 19 20:30:04 MST 2008

Hi Mike,

With respect, it is nearly impossible to tune LOUD and have wonderful
sounding pianos. It is bad for the piano, bad for the tuner's body and does
not do much for stability.

It's easy to prove over pounding if you have access to an etd. Simply wail
away on the notes around D7. Start with c7 then c#7, then d7. Stop and
measure d7. Then wail away on d#7, e7, etc.

Now go have a coffee, and come back in 15 minutes. Take your trusty etd and
measure d7. Guess what? It may well be sharp. If so, the technician is
pounding too hard.

>I agree with you completly Phil, there is no such thing as "pounding too
>hard" unless you are breaking keys regularly!
>I frequently follow the light touch techs and tooners in this area and find
>the piano settling more under my touch/pounding but when I finish my tunings
>stay put!
>I have had the comment more than once that I was the loudest tech they've
>ever had, which I take as a complement, I then explain to them why.
>Oh and yes I use hearing protection also!
>
>Mike
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner