String Info Please

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 15:45:46 MST 2008

At 13:09 -0700 19/3/08, David Ilvedson wrote:

>The strings I've had problems with the winding be to short were not
>under tension.   They were the broken ones...

Well precisely!  Re-read my message and you'll see one reason that
might be, presuming the stringmaker didn't simply make a mistake.

Most of my customers send me the original broken string, in which
case there is no doubt.  If they send or phone dimensions, I need to
know whether they measured the length of copper as is would be under
tension (eg. like the remaining one of a bichord) or whether they
measured it on the bench.

JD