one mute

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Wed Mar 19 14:59:15 MST 2008

I have been tuning unisons as I go for a couple of years now, but I use a
split mute. I use a single felt mute for the bi-chords, moving it once for
every two notes. Then I switch to a split felt mute for the tri-chords. This
is just two felt mutes that I glued together. For uprights I basically do
the same thing but instead of the felt mutes I use the rubber mutes on wire
handles, and have a commercially made rubber split mute that uses a piece of
flat spring steel as the handle. I have a Papps mute, too, but I can't
remember the last time I used it.

I'm big on conserving effort and time. The advantage of using a split mute
on the tri-chords is that you can tune three strings, one string in each of
three adjacent notes, for the price of only having to move the mute once.

. Geoff Sykes, RPT
. Los Angeles