for those on the fence about hearing protection..

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 12:44:48 MST 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> > not a question a comment...you're pounding too hard.
> >
> > David Ilvedson, RPT
>
> I don't think so. Using my cheapo Radio Shack meter set in the
> 90db range, I produce similar sound levels, and while I make a
> tremendous racket tuning, I'm not a pounder. I don't hit them
> hard so much as really often.
>
> Ron

I did my "test" after buying a dB meter on clearance at Wal-Mart for $10.
 Couldn't pass it up.  I was getting about 79-83 dB for normal tuning, and
around 100-108 dB for the hardest blow I ever use.  This was with the meter
sitting on the struts.
I might not have as much experience as some of you who have been teching
longer.  So I reserve the right to change my mind.  At present, I have also
found that the oftener blows work better than the harder blows.  And I think
the more experience we have, the better we can predict where the pin/string
will be stable.  Thus, we are able to have more stable tunings with less
volume as we get better at feeling the pin/string interaction.

Maybe it's just the way my body is put together, but if I pound hard, it
hurts.  And I determined some time ago that it was better to save my arms
and ears by having a good tuning technique.  I always use earplugs except
for the final unison pass.

--
JF