Steinway M Backcheck Problem

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Mar 19 07:38:06 MST 2008

> Truth be said, I have no answer. I made it work, but didn't really solve
> the problem.

How long are the tails, tenor and bass? How far below the tail
is the backcheck top with the key fully depressed (like you're
getting)?

I don't know what the current decree from the mountaintop is,
but for many years the official story was that one mustn't
expect the bass hammers to check reliably, because they just
weren't going to. I've watched many a PBS broadcast where the
overhead shot of the piano in play clearly showed the bass
hammers conspicuously not checking.
Ron N