A remedy for Verdigris

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 18 20:22:43 MST 2008

One of the methods mentioned is heating the centers with a soldering gun.  I have done this on several S&S actions, all of them more than ten years ago.  It has not lasted.  The one I see most often, at least once a year, is a model M.  I brought the action to my shop mainly just to deal with the verdigris in hammer and whippen centers.  I cannot remember if I did the jacks too.  I modified the soldering iron tip, ran it though a rheostat to control the temp well.  I could see the smoke burn that stuff out, I felt pretty good about it.   I repinned the centers to normal ranges.  After a few years, I found I had to use Protek CLP at each tuning to get centers to work properly.  The piano gets very little use, and the keys above and below are always the worst.

Now, I recommend rebuilding the action with new parts.  One of you out there may come up with something that will work for the long run, but I am going to have someone tell me it has worked for them at least ten years before I go this route again.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter