Yamaha jack question (I figured...)

pianolover 88 pianolover88 at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 18 17:31:44 MST 2008

I kinda figured this one was a bit too tough to figure out. I guess I'll have to file this one under unexplained mysteries. But thanks anyway.

Terry Peterson

From: pianolover88 at hotmail.com
To: pianotech at ptg.org
Subject: Yamaha jack question
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:42:42 -0700

Customer owns a yamaha console, only about 11 years old with minimal use. Got a call that some keys were sticking. Upon inspection I confirmed quickly that the problem was *not* in the keys, but the jacks. Turns out that many of the jacks (plastic) are having trouble resetting back under the hammer butts for some reason. This happens whether the damper is depressed or not, when repeating the same notes at a reasonable speed, but less than trill.

A check of the action determined that the regulation is correct, the centers are not tight, the hammer butt buckskin is not worn at all, and the jack springs are not the problem. I also noted that the top of the jacks have sufficient slickness/graphite. So what could be the source of this problem? The backchecks are also properly regulated. Should I try spraying McLube on the tops of the jack, then brushing on some powdered teflon? Could it be that the jacks being plastic could be part of the problem?

Terry Peterson