key trimming bit

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Mar 15 09:28:00 MST 2008

> Have you tried going in each direction?  Typically, one direction will chip
> and the other one won't.  I believe you want the bit turning in toward the
> wood not out away from it.
>
> David Love

You don't get a choice when you're cutting notches. It's
toward the wood on one side of the key, and away on the other.
It's the same thing with the old Oslund machine set I have.
It's very easy to chip the left side notches. I'll try warming
them up first on the next set and see if that helps.
Ron N