broken plate

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 07:49:55 MST 2008

Well they aren't ALL quite that expensive &c. There's a crusty ol' fellow in
the greater Boston area who has been doing it forever & (at least a couple
years ago) was very very reasonable. Charged a colleague about $450 to mend
a shattered plate. We invited him to give a tech presentation for the local
PTG meeting. While he had a slide show of various boilers, engines, & other
heavy duty stuff that he had mended better than new, he really wasn't ready
to teach *us* how to do it in one evening. A bit taciturn, and protective of
his "trade secrets." Can't blame him for that, and his prices were extremely
reasonable.Patrick Draine