Bass Bridge Position

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Mar 10 19:40:40 MST 2008

Del:

I'll have to reexamine my scale chart as it relates to the plate.  The
reason I originally chose to go to note 32 is that I am using the original
long bridge (cut down) and that is the point at which the bridge starts
hockey stick back the other way.  I was able to run a virtually undisturbed
log scale through note 33 but at note 32 it pushed the speaking length back
very close to the plate and almost off the bridge.  If I shorten note 32 in
order to fit it comfortably on the bridge it drops the tension down into the
140 lb range unless I create an inharmonicity bump (not a big one) between
the transition bridge and the plain wire section by increasing the string
diameter for a single unison at note 32.  In terms of tuning weirdness it
seemed like 6 of one... At least F33 is still plain wire.

A quick check of the piano suggests I could get 1300 mm at A1 with about 10
mm space to the plate.  Does that extra 25 mm of backscale make an audible
difference?

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com