Speaking of menus

Alan Barnard pianotuner at embarqmail.com
Mon Mar 10 17:50:09 MST 2008

One of my customers used to live in Southern California and worked for the City of Los Angeles. Her job was to approve and coordinate all the movie and television shoots that required streets to be blocked off, highways shut down, and that sort of thing. This brought her into contact with many celebs and she got to know quite a few.

Michael Landon was a heavy, heavy (4 packs a day) chain smoker of cigarettes (it's what killed him) and one day my customer saw him chatting with a bunch of kids while smoking one one after the other--they were filming an episode of Touched By An Angel. In a private moment, she chastised him for setting such a lousy example for the children. He ignored her with a shrug. So later, when more kids were around, she reached out, grabbed the cig right out of his mouth, and stomped on it. Nothing further was said, though she feared for her job.

Years later, when Mr. Landon was on the Carson show, Johnny asked him about fans who behave in some unexpected or outrageous behavior. Landon answered by relaying the story of my (still nice but a little nutty to this day) customer. He never forgot!

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO