Unstable pianos

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Sat Mar 8 18:53:56 MST 2008

Alan

Wurlitizers have a habit of the back frame coming loose from the pinblock/plate frame. You can spot this when the veneer that covers the top of the piano splits. But sometimes the veneer is not attached to the top, but the front still separates from the back. One way to check this is to tap the veneer from the bass end to the treble. If it is loose, you'll hear it. Pry the veneer loose, and see if there is a crack. You can fix this, (we've discussed the repair on this list several times). but I'm not sure it it's worth it.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of