Meyer Weber Spinet

Steve Blasyak atuneforyou at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 7 08:47:16 MST 2008

Hey Now,

I'm hoping that this post does not start another big controversy about sharing information of piano dates. For the record, I do own a copy of Pierce Piano Atlas, although I think I'm one edition behind. Personally I do not believe sharing information provided in a book is illegal or unethical. Copying or somehow reproducing information may well be both, but hey I'm not a Lawyer.

I inspected a spinet piano for a client last night. It was a Meyer Weber Spinet serial # 29042. I had never heard of a Meyer Weber, although Weber is a common brand name. Upon referring to my Pierce Atlas it appears that Meyer Weber was in business a short time from 1915 to 1928 with the last number listed in 1928 being 12000. Two things come to mind, first I don't believe they were making spinet pianos in the 1920's were they? Second, obviously the serial number does not match what the Pierce Atlas says. I believe this piano was probably from the 1950's or early 60's.

So could Jack Wyatt or any other piano historians out there give me a clue. I suspect that some other manufacturer used the Meyer Weber name for a period of time. This is not an urgent matter just trivial. The person selling the piano was asking $600. I spot checked a few tuning pins in various areas. Checked the bridges and sound board. It was only about 20 cents flat and the lady said it hadn't been tuned in at least ten years. I stepped outside and told my client that I'm no big fan of spinets but, I would offer half of the asking price. She got a nice little spinet for her grandson.

So in the end I think I did my job. Just curious about the possible origins of this piano. can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Blasyak
Orange County ca.

Pura Vida