key leads

Robin Stevens pianobee at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 5 12:42:44 MST 2008

Terry here in Port Pirie South Australia we have the largest lead smelter in
the southern hemisphere. I have always intended to take some of this off cut
lead down to the smelter and see if one of their metallurgists would analyse
it and maybe explain why it suddenly starts to grow after many decades. The
smelter here boasts that the lead they produce here is 99.9999% pure. A
month ago I had to cut the leads in a very nice overdamper Schwechten. All
of the bass damper leads had grown to the extent that the bass dampers were
locked together. I did not feel like taking all of the dampers of so with a
bit of juggling I was able to get support under each damper while I
chiselled the offending lead off. After doing many of these lead trimming
jobs over the years I find that ½ to ¾ of a hour you can trim a whole
keyboard. If the keys are badly split...that’s another story.

Robin Stevens