Buzz in an S&S D

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Mar 3 10:17:41 MST 2008

Greetings,
<<  Pressing on the
>>soundboard at one point does help alleviate it. >>

        Since this is a Steinway, there is another thing that may be
considered.  You may have a partially driven through hitch pin that is touching the
soundboard.
        I couldn't believe it, but last summer I was swinging a soundboard
steel around under the plate of a 1984 B when it happened to hit something that
shouldn't have been there.  I tried again and found that when the steel was
just slightly off the board, it kept hitting something very solidly and metallic
under the plate around C7.  I figured it would be a foreign object, but after
about three bangs with the steel, I heard something go clink and roll around.
 Gradually pushing it toward the back of the bridge, I finally saw that it
was a hitch-pin, and when I got it out, I saw that the top of it had been
drilled into.
    All the years that piano was used, (and there had been a slight mention
of a rattle during the summer months), this pin, which I am sure was broken off
and then supposedly driven through, and been just barely in contact with the
soundboard.
     Pressing on the board would have stopped this noise, too.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on
AOL Money & Finance.<BR>