Wives tales ...

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jun 30 22:56:41 MDT 2008

> I think that we should all do our best to keep this myth going,
> otherwise we'll never get called, because they've never moved it!
> Actually we should have to swear an oath, or make it part of the PTG
> pledge, or something.......
>

> Scott Jackson

The outside wall thing is real, but it's more a matter of
keeping the piano on the right side of the wall. There has
also been some speculation on the possibility that we don't
actually tune pianos, but only the space they occupy, so
moving them doesn't throw them out of tune so much as
dislocating them from the tuning, which would theoretically
remain in the space in which it was installed. Unfortunately,
no one seems to have tried moving the piano back to the spot
in which it was last tuned to see if the spacial tuning
reconnected with the piano - a tragically missed educational
opportunity. This also raises the question of whether the
tuning can be non-disruptively spatially relocated to
correspond with the piano's new location without having to
laboriously reinstall another tuning, thereby wasting and
duplicating the disconnected original. How critical might the
alignment be for tuning relocation? The fact that pianos that
haven't been moved tend to go out of tune would indicate that
the spacial tuning is of an essentially ethereal nature, and
prone to spontaneous evaporation over time and as a result of
climatic variations, which further complicates the issue since
there would seem to be a statute of limitations of sorts on
tuning relocation. But then there is also considerable mystery
concerning the potential longevity of "free range" tunings
that are unattached to pianos, as well as their potential for
autonomous mobility. The number of reports of pianos sounding
suddenly better this week than they did for the last two seems
to be indicative of the potential for at least limited free
movement of lingering disenfranchised tunings past, and some
capacity for mutual self alignment with encountered pianos.
There might well be an extraordinary number of long lived
orphaned tunings out there for the harvesting.

Should the server ever come back on line... (Go Andy!)

Ron N