Wives tales ... violin tuning

A E eve_ane at hotmail.co.uk
Sun Jun 29 14:50:45 MDT 2008

1 lil problem.... most people cant stretch out their middle fingers enough to play an octave clean on a violin... which is why they always sound weird....
2nd...tuning ET makes villin alot more comfortable to play, and consequently, more pleasure for the player...
its not all about the sounds its also about comfort of performer... and John was stuggling alot, because siome intervalls were simply painful to play. not only aurally (pure fifths makes intervalls sounds disastrous) but also physically... i faced same problem...
and final.. he playes in Settle orchestra, tuning in ET he played his own arrangemenbt of bachs prelude from the cello suite no1... and leader of orchestra wasent complaining, on the contrary she asked what he has done with his fingering or tuning, because it sounds in harmony... i think i speak for everyone who heard that day, that ET is better than pure 5ths for violin in most cases, there a piece calls for alot of fingering, and intevalls...

on the other side if u take a piece thats entirely played on open strings... knock urself outtuning pure :-)
in that case u can tune a piano chromatically, and leave every at its  "theoretical" frequency... just avoid intervalls, octaves, and using 2 hands... makes sence?

Alicia