Wives tales ...

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Jun 29 06:56:16 MDT 2008

Sadly, it's often pianists themselves.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf
Of David Nereson
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2008 2:35 AM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: Wives tales ...

    It's always amusing or mind-boggling to hear some of the things people
believe, or think they believe, about pianos.  Even smart, educated people
will sometimes come out with the most absurd statements.

    I don't know how many times people have told me their piano has a
cast-iron soundboard, or they'll point to the plate, even in a grand, and
ask if that's the soundboard.  You'd think the word "board" would suggest
wood, not metal.

    And why they think a vertical has to be moved out from the wall in order
to be tuned, I still don't know.  I asked someone once, and they replied,
"Well, you know, in order to tune it."  They've seen guitars and violins
being tuned, but somehow never imagine that a piano may have a similar
arrangement of strings wound around pins that you turn to raise or lower
their pitch.  Others can't imagine why you'd have to open it up or lift the
lid in order to tune it.  They obviously have no clue as to what tuning
entails -- it's just a mystery box to them, I guess.

    And of course they know for sure that any time a piano is moved, even
across the room, it has to be re-tuned.  They never question it.  Same with
the "outside wall" myth, the jar of water in the bottom, and the  belief
that it went out of tune because nobody's been playing it, and now that it's
been tuned and they're going to play it (even tho' it just underwent a
half-step pitch raise), it'll stay in tune better.

    Off the top of my head, I can't think of any other household objects
about which so many myths and misbeliefs are maintained.

    --David Nereson, RPT