Pleyel Grand Regulation Questions

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sun Jun 29 03:53:20 MDT 2008

Hi Will.

I found several conflicting sources about the specifications for that Pleyel
action.  I myself do think that the action you are describing should
regulate about the same way another would.

Apart from the key height that is more like 53 mm, I start with the usual
figures, see what happens.  The 10 mm key dip works well (while you will
hear people say they used 9 mm ; I myself think that the 9 mm dip is valid
for the Pleyel pianos from before 1860 or so, with the English action).  The
blow distance should be maximal, as long as you leave a gap between the
shank at rest position and the rest rail.  If you can’t achieve a complete
escapement cycle with some aftertouch, simply raise the hammer rest
position.  Let off and drop work the same way as in the Erard-Hertz action;
Those ennoying T shaped drop screws regulate only by half turns, which
proves often not to be precise enough to get nice results.  What I do then,
at the cost of premature wearing of the leather concerned, I fine regulate
those by giving a minute portion of a turn more, so only one side of the T
shape hits the leather, but with its angle, you can achieve better drop
precision.  You’d better make a dedicated tool in wood to avoid scratching
those T shapes.  Did I understand that the jacks rest position is determined
by a piece of fluffy felt, and no screw to fine regulate it ?  Yet the jack
position against the “nose” of the shank is crucial : if everything seems
right with the action spread, and the jack rests in the whippen window at
the place that is probably marked one or another way (sometimes with a
pencil mark, only at the extreme whippens of a section), it should be good.
To fine regulate the jacks alignment, you can “voice” the piece of felt on
which they rest : take a needle and needle that felt so it expands a little
bit, and the jack will rest a little closer to the hammer rail.  Opposite,
press the jack hard on that felt in order to have it rest farther away from
the rail.  Beware, there is very little room to allow for jack traveling in
the window, so anything away from the correct position will cause the jack
to hit prematurely the second piece of felt intended as a bumper at the
other side of the window opening.

I regulate the let off as close to the strings as possible, that is when a
very soft blow with dampers lifted doesn’t cause any wobbling of the hammer
against the string.  You can get a clear perception of an ideal blow feeling
where there is absolutely no, even minute, blocking of the hammer against
the string.  Depending on the period of year you are regulating, you may
want to add to this ideal minimum distance whatever you feel is necessary to
compensate for hygrometric changes in the other period of the year.  Indeed,
minimal drop works well.  But you will need dedicated tools to avoid ruining
the very fragile regulating screws.

The backchecks should be as high as possible, making sure they don’t
interfere with the hammer raising to the string, even when their inertia is
taken into account, which is validly simulated by travelling them up while
one hand presses downwards on them.  Sometimes, as their hammers are far
from any standard hammer, the use was to refelt them, and more than often,
the guy who refelted them put too much felt on the shoulders, causing the
hammer to hit the backcheck at rest (I’ve seen that many times).  You should
then severely reshape the shoulders, or consider refelting, but when
refelting don’t forget to mention the target total hammer length (and/or
bore distance) that will give you the desired hammer position against the
strings at impact time (and/or shank position).

To align hammers under the strings, first check that the action frame is
well positioned on its bed (replace the side felt accordingly if not).
Then, the only way to go is by warming the shanks with a flame and bending
them in the direction they should go, sideways and rotation ways.  Beware
not to stress the center bushings, or you ruin the friction consistency.  By
the way, if you rebush the centers on the shank, the only way to go, as
there is only one pin for 13 shanks, is to properly ream the bushings and
try the swings tests on the long “pin” rod that you will use.

I found those actions to be relying on a good regulation : anything away
from simply right will not function well.  But well regulated, they do
perform well.

I hope this helps, and that other techs used to Pleyel actions will comment.