Temperature and the Tuning Fork

Robert Scott fixthatpiano at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 28 15:45:35 MDT 2008

Johnathan Best wrote:

> I'm going to import a 440 tone  mp3 file into my palm pilot
> next time I feel technically inclined.

Palm pilots, Pocket PCs, MP3 players, and soundcards in computers all have a potential problem with calibration.  These devices will playback sound files at the correct pitch only if the quartz crystal that controls their playback speed just happens to be exactly correct.  I have often found these devices to be a few cents off.  So before you trust the pitch of a sound file being played back, check the playback on your particular device against a known-good ETD.

Robert Scott
Ypsilant, Michigan