Flitz for repetition springs?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Jun 27 16:39:31 MDT 2008

I always found that a Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol worked just dandy.
You bend the tip so that you can fit it right through the window in the
rep lever with the spring held out of the way.  Then a drop or two of
Protek on the re-positioned spring to finish.

Cheers
RicB

            At 16:05 -0400 27/6/08, Willem Blees wrote:

             >...The only thing on butterfly springs that need to be
            cleaned out
             >is the groove in which the bend end sits. That, over time,
            can get
             >very gunky, and will drag the fly, which will impede
            repetition. You
             >can clean most of the gunk out with a sharp tool, like a
            small screw
             >driver...

        Not a suitable choice of tool at all!  The best thing for cleaning
        the wax/tallow out of the grooves is a hammer-shank sharpened to a
        point that more or less mates with the groove.  The spring can be
        cleaned up with fine steel wool worked in the direction of the
        wire,
        or simply with a coarse linen cloth.

        JD