Flitz for repetition springs?

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Fri Jun 27 14:05:29 MDT 2008

Holly

I haven't seen any other reply to your question, so I'll give it a shot.

I've never seen the fly's them selves get crusty. (or rusty), even here in Hawaii. If you have a set that is rusty, unless they are really bad,?or are breaking, I would leave them alone. The only thing on butterfly springs that need to be cleaned out is the groove in which the bend end sits. That, over time, can get very gunky, and will drag the fly, which will impede repetition. You can clean most of the gunk out with a sharp tool, like a small screw driver. However,?you don't want to eliminate the lubrication, because that keeps the spring riding the in groove with ease, and even eliminate a noise spring.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
808-349-2943