Front Rail Keypin Alignment Reality Check

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Jun 24 19:03:08 MDT 2008

Ric writes:
<< A piano that has had pins bent, and then you do nice brand new

bushings... may more then likely require having the majority of pins

bent back to their original status.

          So... if you are persnickety enough to get into this... straighten
all

key pins before rebushing... in all directions. >>

          Umm,  I believe most pianos have the final key spacing (by bending
pins), done in the factory to compensate for less than perfect pin placement
and mortise locations.   I'm no mathematician, but changing all pins that are
not straight would seem to automatically undo this original compensation, and
the odds of getting proper spacing by bending pins before rebushing seem slim.
I suppose any pin that had been bent after the piano had a lot of wear on it
could be corrected this way, but it doens't seem plausible that someone would
be bending many pins to space  keys with a lot of side to side play already in
it. .
     I much prefer to do what straightening,(or bending) after the bushing
job. That way, only the ones that need to be moved are moved.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT
 <BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos
for fuel-efficient used cars.<BR>