Bechstein B hammer rake / more thoughts

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jun 24 02:19:05 MDT 2008

Hi Ed..

I'm curious to know more about the specifics. On the surface of it it
would seem possible to refit the action so that hammers in rest position
were at or just below flange tops.

Cheers
RicB

        Ric writes:
        << Can anyone give an example of an instrument designed to have
        its hammers  5 mm + higher then the tops of the shank flanges ?? >>

    Greetings,
    I don't think it is a design parameter, but rather, a consequence
    of  poor tolerances of plate height and action fitting, but I have
    seen numerous Steinways from the '60's that required the hammers be
    this high to prevent having a unworkable keydip.  Somehow, the
    forefinishing department obviously didn't think that 1/2" gap
    between the hammershank and the rest cushion was a problem...

    regards,

    Ed Foote RPT