Keyslips making keys stick

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Jun 23 04:34:47 MDT 2008

Richard Brekne wrote:
> As I understand it, these solutions involve placing / gluing  something
> or another in between the front of the key frame front rail and the key
> slip. If thats the case I see nothing elegant about the solution at all.
> Simple perhaps, but no more so then a more appropriate fix. If this was
> a good way of doing thing I am quite sure virtually every piano
> manufacturer would have some kind of similar thing built into their
> pianos from the get go. None do... and that should be a clue.
>
> If the thing it warped... unwarp it.
> Cheers
> RicB

In an ideal world,yes. Local conditions sometime overrule.
A.K.A. Expediency in the trenches.

After trying the "right" way to cure the inward warping of the key slip
more than once with the condition only returning, I happened to see a
certain piano with this malady actually in use. (in a classroom)

The teacher was leading the class from the piano... while standing. When
not actually playing, the teacher would be leaning against the piano and
pushing the key slip against the keys. An intervention had to be done.

After experimenting on the thickness to regain clearance, I glued
cardboard front rail punchings to the front of the keyframe. Haven't had
  rubbing keys since, and the una corda works just fine. I've had to do
this on consoles, too, but gluing is not necessary.

Flame me if you must, I'm doing some alpha testing on a new line... ;-}

--
Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be
used against you.