Bechstein B hammer rake / more thoughts

ricb at pianostemmer.no ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sun Jun 22 07:32:04 MDT 2008

Hi all,

Just got what on the surface of it is much better advice from a
fellow who used to work at the old Bechstein factory, and another
fellow who runs a factory in Denmark. Both with the German meister
degree, and both had the same thing to say.

Bechstein bore length is figured from by taking taking the string
height subtract the shank center pin height, and subtract 3 mm more.
The only fudging needed beyond that is to compensate for any changes
in string height due to the way the plate may have been installed,
and this by and large confines itself to a couple mm. The design
simply calls for the shank to be 3 mm higher at the end of the shank
then it would be if it was horizontal at impact. Nothing like
straight forward advice.

There is no problem with getting the action in and out... I could
have the hammers 10 mm higher then they are with no problem. The only
clearance problem is the actual space between the end of soundboard
and the beginning of the pinblock for hammer travel, and this only in
those well known areas in the top two sections. My only concern with
changing hammer rake has been creating a problem there.

Following the above advice has worked out perfectly. Very easy to get
close to a perpendicular to string orientation without draconian
rakes.

Turns out this instrument has the wrong hammers on.  Someone put on a
set for a Bechstein 212 and this is a B.

Still, this whole subject matter, prompted by some bright thoughts by
John Delecour a couple of month back as got me thinking about a more
considered approach then what I've been working with, and what the
usual advice seems to be up to now.

Cheers
RicB