Removing old keytops

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks at att.net
Sat Jun 21 14:46:31 MDT 2008

Since we are on this subject.....

  I serviced a grand yesterday (did my first CA treatment, btw).  When you play the black keys, they get buried beneath the level of the whites.  It is evident that someone had replaced the tops.  I am guessing whoever did the procedure, failed to rout down the keystick to compensate for the thicker tops.  So, I will be returning later to correct this.

1.  Do I set the black kep dip or the height?  I know if I set the height, I will have to readjust the capstans.  Is there anything else I need to be aware of as far as throwing other parts out of regulation?

  2.  Do I need to do anything with the white key regulation at all?

  Thanks in advance,
  Matthew

David Chadwick <chadwick61 at cox.net> wrote:
          Shawn,
  I have great success with using a Milwaukee heat gun. I'll do about 5 or 6 at one time by waving the heat gun over the tops and fronts until the surface is quite warm and then I slide a thin blade knife under the tail end and slowly work it off the keystick making sure that I'm not removing any wood also depending on what kind of glue was previously used. Works great for me and I'm done in about 30 minutes. Like you, I usually send-em out for recovering but once in a while I'll do a set.

  David C.