Bechstein B hammer rake / more thoughts

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Fri Jun 20 21:13:54 MDT 2008

Hi Ric.

When I think of it, I can see only one ideal situation, that is when the
hammer is perpendicular to the string at impact time, and the shank is
closest to parallel to the string at that time.  In this condition, the
energy transfer from the hammer to the string seems maximized to me.  If the
shank is not parallel to the string, there is a portion of the hammer
movement that will not be normal to the string plane (but parallel instead),
and that movement will spend energy in friction (of the hammer against the
string), and the rebound of the hammer will also be slightly impeded because
the hammer will have to reverse the direction of that portion of movement
too.
I fail to understand the importance of the shank being horizontal.  What are
the ideas of Bob Hohf about that ?

The trigonometry is fine, but you could add an analysis of what happens with
the measurement errors that you do when measuring
- String height over keybed (I don't seem to be able to do this measure with
less than 0.5 mm error)
- Rounding this value for all notes between two samples you measured
(typically at each side of each section), so if for example you measure 231
mm at the right of the treble section and 230 mm at the left of the alto
section, all notes in between will have an additional error of 0 to 0.5 mm
- Center pin over keybed : here you have two measures and one approximation
: the approximation is that when you measure any point on the stack over the
keybed, you do this with the action out of the piano (I suppose, or do you
have a better way ?) and so the action rests on another surface against
which you do the measure, but is the action frame sitting exactly the same
way ?  I find it difficult to avoid another 0.3 mm error here.  Also you
don't measure directly the center pin height (or do you ? but how ?) you
measure one accessible point at the top of the stack, then measure the
vertical distance between that point and the center pin, and here again
errors sum up
- yet another rounding error for all notes between the extremes, if there
happens to be a slight difference in the measurement of the first bass
center pin height and the last treble one
- angle between string plane and keybed (I can't even figure out how to
measure this accurately.  My best take up till now was to throw a ping pong
ball from 20 cm over the strike line and measure where it falls down after
its first rebound, but this assumes that the keybed is horizontal, which I
can grosso figure out with a bubble gage)
- again approximations across the scale
- and finally the error in hammer bore itself

This is where the sample hammer with known bore distance trial in situ
shortcuts a whole bunch of accumulated errors (in the trigonometry formulas,
any measurement you have done will multiply even further all the errors), as
there is only one approximation, that is the perpendicular condition of the
hammer with the string plane, which is quite easy to measure with a piece of
straight wood with a nail put in it at straight angle, which you put on the
strings with the nail facing the ground.  And if the hammer is perpendicular
to the shank, then necessarily, the shank will be parallel to the string
plane.  But this tells nothing about the horizontality of the shank, and I
fail to understand why I should care.
So I don't understand either the rake thing, short of trying to float for
all the said approximations when it is time to have the actual end user
hammer as perpendicular to the actual string as practically possible.

What do you think ?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.