Bechstein B hammer rake

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Jun 20 20:59:00 MDT 2008

Too many thoughts.  On these pianos, the rake often accommodates a maximum
bore distance (usually around 50 - 52mm in the treble section) to get the
hammer perpendicular to the string at impact irrespective of the shank angle
(generally beyond parallel to the key bed).  Probably has something to do
with clearance under the stretcher and/or strike point accessibility in the
upper end.  I wouldn't overcomplicate your life on this.  Using a string
height gauge with the action on the bench set the rake based on 90 degrees
to the string.  Jon Page outlined a good procedure for this a few years ago.
I'm sure you will find it easily in the archives.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com