no hammer rise revisited; broken pedal lever

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Wed Jun 18 12:18:45 MDT 2008

    OK, I finally got a chance to get back to the piano.  I checked all your suggestions and nothing seemed out of line.
    Except for no hammer rise, the action hadn't been showing any signs of sluggishness, but I decided to rub powedered Teflon into the wippen cushions and knuckles anyhow.  Presto!  All the sudden I had hammer rise.  I fine-regulated the let-off, drop, and repetition spring strength, and now almost everything is "normal."
    However, many hammers want to bounce out of check.   But I'm pretty sure I can adjust the bevel of the backchecks and correct that.

    The same piano had a u-shaped bracket for the damper pedal "lever," like some vertical pianos have.  It was fussy to get adjusted properly.  One night it broke, leaving the pianist with no sustain pedal.  I looked at the bracket where it broke -- at the crook of the 'U' and noticed it had broken before and was welded a half-inch away from where it broke this time.
    So I decided to install an old-fashioned wood trapwork lever.  Just got two blocks of wood for the holders, drilled a hole for a pivot pin (used a lid hinge pin), cut the lever to length, drilled another hole for the pin in the bottom of the Pitman, and a recessed hole for the top of the pedal rod.  It just barely fit between the back of the lyre and where the keybed ended, but it did fit.

    Thanks for all the suggestions on no hammer rise
    --David Nereson, RPT