Vibrations

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Tue Jun 17 15:52:56 MDT 2008

Hi Mathew:

If someone has not already mentioned this, here goes:  When you go back to
the piano, start by tightening every case screw you can find.   (They can
probably stand to be tightened anyway). Then start listening.  If the noise
is no longer there, then something you did took care of it.  What?  Doesn't
matter - it's fixed.  If the noise is still there, at least you know it is
not all of the above.

Also, soundboard button screws, treble trim screws and  damper guide rail
screws.  Take a strong light and inspect every glue joint in the soundboard,
particularly around the perimeter and at the belly rail.  Use a small mirror
with the light if needed.  Remove the action and inspect the glue joints of
the belly rail and soundboard interface and below.  Check to see if the
pinblock is sitting fully on the rim shelf at the ends.  Check and see if it
is unglued from the stretcher if it was fully fitted.

Hope this helps, along with all the other suggestions.

Will Truitt