Lucky Friday 13th

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 13 18:04:58 MDT 2008

Well, it didn't start out looking lucky.  Due to bad planning and
general slackness of business, I had only one tuning scheduled today.
25 mile drive to downtown Milwaukee, to the restaurant where the Yamaha
G-1 would need a 20 cent pitch correction, accompanied by the kitchen
staff's boombox through the wall to my right, and the vacuum cleaner to
my left.  But I had gotten a voicemail from a classy social club just a
few blocks down from the restaurant, wanting to schedule a tuning on
their recently but poorly rebuilt S&S D, so on the way to town I reached
for my cellphone to talk to them about tuning right after the
restaurant.  No cellphone - must have left it in my gym-bag.....
So here's where my luck turned.  Traffic was light and fast, arrived
downtown with time to stop in at the club and confirm that later this
morning would be fine.  On to the restaurant, found a parking place
right in front.  The kitchen boombox must have been broken, and the
vacuum didn't start up until I was doing the last of the tenor unisons.
Got to the club, they said "do you have time to do both pianos?"  And
then, just as I was finishing the first piano, a charming young waitress
approaches me and says "would you like some lunch on the house?"  Caesar
salad, crab cakes, and a coke, served on-stage next to the D, gave me
the strength to go downstairs and face the Everett console.  I love this
job!!!

Mike