Getting the high trebble right

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Fri Jun 13 15:41:32 MDT 2008

Hi John.

At the moment, there is 5 mm felt between the molding and the crown at
hammer 88.  On the older hammers, though, there was nearly nothing left.
Yet they sounded very well, musical and all.  That might very well be a
start point for experiment.  But if I reduce the felt layer by 3 mm , I will
have to re hang my hammers, not ?  If so, well that is life, as someone
recently told me.  I spent some time in checking the right angle condition
between hammer and strings at contact time, as you convinced me that this
condition is absolutely crucial, certainly in the treble. (I'm convinced,
certainly).
What is your favourite dope ?  I indeed am always deceived by the
acetone-key top mixture, as it brings some high partials at the cost of
colour shades dynamics (who disappear), and no more question of fine voicing
after.  But I always put the mixture from top.  I will certainly try at the
moulding next time.
I like your idea of letting the different hammers bounce on a hard surface.
Makes so much sense, as always.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Stéphane Collin.