Moved a PSO

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jun 13 09:07:16 MDT 2008

> I moved my first grand (baby) yesterday.  It was indeed a PSO, although,
> I would like to swap the "S" and "O" in that acronym.  This piano has no
> name.  It does have a serial number, but no name.  The strings are
> rusted (six were already broken), pins are rusted, damper felts coming
> off.  The hammers looked okay.  I will be making a service call soon to
> give it a complete evaluation and estimate.  The seller was asking $350,
> but they got it to $300.  I probably wouldn't of spent over $200 for the
> thing.

$100 one way or the other is nothing compared to the $20K in
rebuild work it needs.

>I just hope the new owner understands why they got it so
> "cheap".

They won't. Trust me.

>I didn't try to depress 'em by telling them they should of
> consulted me first.  The deal was already done, what can you do?

I'd have told them the condition of the piano immediately,
made a quick rough estimate for rebuild, and declined to
attempt any patch up. I would have ABSOLUTELY not moved it
without them knowing exactly what they were wasting money on.

> My real question is, what do you do when you cannot find a brand?  How
> do you estimate the year, or decade at least?

You could fake it, call it a Steinweigh or Harborfreight, and
guess. Or you could tell them the truth that without a name,
you can't look up the date. The age of the piano will shortly
be of little concern to them anyway when they find they can't
turn it into a family heirloom for another $200.

Ron N