Samick is crap?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jun 12 15:54:06 MDT 2008

With all due respect and more I have to disagree. Samicks totally lack
anything remotely connected to character and have absolutely no
redeeming factors at all outside of being fairly clean to tune when you
first get them and prep them well. They develop thuddy bass strings
after a few years all to often as did Young Changs. A few years use
reveals all to often a whole set of problems that point to less them
optimally aged and treated woods.  I've run into 6 uprights this past
couple years alone that had to have all the front and balance pins
replaced because they simply wobbled, and in some cases completely fell
out of their holes.

With excellent prep work you can make just about anything sound and
perform reasonably well. The question is how long will your efforts
endure and how long will the piano remain in its most important aspects
serviceable to a degree comparable with a quality instrument.

Cheers
RicB

    Samick is often crap out of the box, but like many Asian pianos can be
    turned into a fairly decent piano with some excellent prep work. The
    basics
    are there for a nice instrument. It's up to you to coax it out! :-)

    Dean

    Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

    PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

    Terre Haute IN  47802