websites: the new Yellow Pages

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Jun 11 08:53:02 MDT 2008

Hey, kids---speaking of ads and keeping your name as a brand: I found
this in my inbox this morning. As you will read, my efforts to build
a good site, and then consciously move it up in the search engines,
means that somewhere between, I'd guess, $5K and $30K just dropped
into my lap, all pre-qualified with trust and reputation. He knows
who I am, the quality of the work I do, and he knows my standing in
the community. He's coming to me with respect and no suspicion.
That's huge.

If it's a complete rebuild, that means between the work I do and the
profit I take from the work others do, I'll make enough on this job
to pay all of my monthly maintenance and SEO (search engine
optimization) fees for the next year. Website as good investment? Uh
huh.

David,

I've stumbled across your website a number of times and am impressed
with your attitude towards the pianos you work with.  I've just
recently become the owner of a 1976 Steinway B that I purchased in
Iowa.  I'm about to have the piano shipped to my home in California
and begin the process of rebuilding it in order to make it shine like
or better than new.

A bit about the piano: It has been neglected for the past 5-10 years,
but before that it lived in a church and was given regular
maintenance, and had a humidifier attached.  But during those last
few years it was in a terrible location, next to a window and a
heater.  Because of the climate in Iowa, the wood has gone through a
lot, but there are no cracks in the soundboard that I can see.  The
piano is playable and has a good sound, though its severely out of
tune, and there are a couple of notes in the lower register that are
not working properly.

When I get it home, I was hoping you would be able to come by for a
consultation; this piano was hand-picked from Steinway hall and it
has quite a wonderful sound behind the shortcomings acquired, having
been neglected.  I want this instrument to be the finest B it can be,
and your website makes it clear that this is the kind of work you do.

With thanks,

Derek M.