pitman retrofit

erwinspiano at aol.com erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 08:28:19 MDT 2008

??? This is S.o.p. in our shop too. I have found that if I start at 3 1/2 inches I usually am real close. However I do drill into the under lever the depth of a punching.? On the tray I've been using a !/4 inch thick square of maple with a 3/4 inch hole cut into it, then ,as you I align it for optimal travel & glue it in place.? No Squeaks, no Sqauwks, no call backs.
? Thanks Mark
? Dale

Thanks, David? - I'm glad you've found it useful. And yes Bob & Dale,? I do make a new pitman (see the first sentence of the quote below). If you'll be replacing one of those accursed brass pitmans (pitmen?) then you will of course have to enlarge the hole in the keybed, or at least remove the felt. OTOH, if the original pitman was 5/8" then I'll often leave the felt in the hole. That way it helps to keep the new pitman from dropping out if I need to lower the trap lever for any reason. In operation the new pitman will not contact the felt at all.

I'm still trying to find a foolproof method of cutting the new pitman to length. Now I'm just taking the length of the old pitman and adding the thickness of the old buckskin on the trap lever and underside of the damper tray, then subtracting the combined thickness of the new 5/8" pitman punchings (incidentally, I've been using Pianotek's thick pear backrail cloth for the punchings).

- Mark Dierauf

David Ilvedson wrote:

List,

?

Last year Mark Dierauf detailed his method of retro-fitting the Steinway pitman.?? I've had great success using his method

in the post reprinted below from the archives:

?

"I'm using 3/8" dowel with a 5/8" punching. Also, rather than drilling a?
shallow hole in the tray and trap lever, I use a roughly 1" square of 1/4"?
cowhide, with a 5/8" hole drilled through it, on both the tray and lever. I? can
position these and the new pitman, lined up through the hole through the? keybed,
until I get the straightest run. Then I mark their positions, remove? the
pitman and glue the leather blocks in place. An appropriate wedge under? the tray
acts as a clamp, and I use a spring clamp on the trap lever. Gluing? the
rough side of the lever with titebond, it dries adequately in a minute or? so, and
if I should screw something up I figure it will be a lot easier to? remove
the leather blocks than to un-drill holes in the parts. If you're? dealing with
an older Steinway with the 5/8" original pitman, it isn't even? necessary to
drill out the hole through the keybed."

- Mark Dierauf

THANKS MARK!!

?