Hallet Davis back action

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Jun 10 20:24:03 MDT 2008

Part of my continuing series on the Hallet Davis rebuild.

The sostenuto lift tray is spring loaded, anchored at the left end and free
on the right. It is pushed up with a hidden dowel through the keybed just to
the left of the visible Damper lift dowel.

The next picture is where the sostenuto spring lift tray activates the funky
pivot assy in back of the damper levers. Those little eyelets don't pivot up
and down. They're rigid.

The studs in front support the damper stop rail. They are big nails with
thread on top for the adjusting nuts, but not threaded into the keybed.

This is the damper lift tray. It had felt hinges. I've seen vellum before,
but not felt. I wonder if it was original.

So the question is (I know JD's answer :-)) is how would folks repair this?
I've done one before and simply added small brass hinges which seemed to
work great.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272