Dulcitone tuning fork piano?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jun 9 22:02:37 MDT 2008

> This is really interesting. In some respects, then, the Rhodes
> electronic piano is actually an electric Dulcitone, since the
> tine/resonating bar assembly of the Rhodes constitutes a tuning fork,
> albeit with unequal arms.
>
> Kent

Exactly. A lot of years ago, I attended a local seminar class
given by Harold Rhodes his own self during which he described
the development process of the instrument. The first
incarnation was essentially a keyboard xylophone with aluminum
tone bars (tubing), and the action geometry came out of
playing with a spoon on a table in the mess hall. The
production model used the tuning fork idea for the electronic
pickup, and kept the rocking spoon action action. The
electronic pickup, with the post processing potential, and the
possible tine to pickup proximity adjustments, with the
surprisingly broad and interesting potential timber spectrum,
puts it in a somewhat different class than the celeste.
Similar, but a bunch more versatile.

Ron N