Carving, was Hallet Davis.

Fenton Murray fmurray at cruzio.com
Sat Jun 7 14:50:02 MDT 2008

I recently tuned a S&S M from the 20's with very unusual carvings on the case, legs, bench, etc. The client told me her grandma carved the piano back in the 30's. While I'm thinking "yea, right" she say's, " and she also cared the table, chairs,chinet, and on and on around the room". Sure enough, everything was obviously carved by the same person. The story goes out of work piano carvers we're roaming the country during the depression looking for work, grandma hired one to help her and show her how to carve the piano and everything else in her house. Her name and date was carved on the back of a piano leg.
Fenton

Hi Dean

I noticed the ornate, but abused legs on this piano, and they remind me of the chap who currently does all my cabinet work. I met him after tuning a Steinway square and told the customer how amazing it was to have the original bench, with the ornate legs and all, a perfect match to the piano legs in every detail.
Oh no, she said, we had Gerrie make the bench, and he hand carved the legs, scaled down, to match !!!

If any one needs ornate or complicated reproductiond, I'd be happy to provide more info . .
cheers

Jim Kinnear