Insecurity--was: too picky about tuning

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Wed Jun 4 17:48:21 MDT 2008

To my friend the Spiritual Warrior, David Andersen:

I believe that our brother  Mathew doesn't fully understand what you mean,
because the warrior spirit has nothing to do with luck.  It doesn't even
have anything to do with what the world does or doesn't offer us.

If I may offer some food for thought to Mathew along these lines - this
quote is from Shambhala, The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chogyam Trungpa:

"In ancient times, the warrior learned to master the challenges of life,
both on and off the battlefield.  He acquired a sense of personal freedom
and power - not through violence or aggression, but through gentleness,
courage, and self-knowledge.  The Japanese Samurai, the warrior-kings of
Tibet, the knights of medieval Europe, and the warriors of the Native
American tribes are a few examples of this universal tradition of wisdom."
".. in discovering the basic goodness of human life, the warrior learns to
radiate that goodness into the world for the peace and sanity of others"

"I'll tell ya what's up: doubt kills strength, confidence, power, and
pleasure; habitual doubt is a toxic, dangerous mental program or
habit.  When you are insecure
---people can feel it
---it dulls your ability to be clear and focused
---it kills the pleasure of the task in the moment
---it focuses your attention on the self-generated internal dialogue
rather than the interesting and challenging task at hand
---it allows you to make stupid decisions, like giving away time and
effort for free when you need to be supporting yourself and your
family, and consistently undervaluing your worth, the value you bring
in people's lives.

Doubt kills the warrior spirit inside of you. It infects everything
in your life.

1. Do you see yourself as an artisan, a professional, a craftsperson?

2. Do you generally do the best job you can do?

If yes, then STOP with the doubt and insecurity. You're doing a
better job on this planet than a vast majority of humans that live
here or have lived here.  If your clients don't respect you, fire
them. Or suffer. Your choice.

It's that clear and stark. It really is." - David Andersen

Doubt is rooted in fear, something all human beings must face every day.
It's part of the human condition.  But fearlessness is not the absence of
fear.  We have to realize our fear, examine it, and reconcile ourselves with
it. Only then can we move "beyond fear".

All this has everything to do with piano work.  It is part of our face to
the world, whether or not we choose to be aware.

Will Truitt