was Samick is crap? Now young tech

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jun 4 17:04:52 MDT 2008

Yes John, you're at June. It's a long long while from May to December and
the days grow short when you reach September, so your days aren't short yet!
It's hard to find a properly performed version of Kurt Weill's beautiful
song (have had a go at it myself when I used to go to singing lesons). I do
NOT like it messed about with! Who are any of these modern performers to
mess about with Weill? They may think they know better than him but they
don't.

I so much enjoy your photographic explanations and illustrations, and those
posted by others here. So clear and helpful. There is such a beautiful
full-colour book that could be made out of procedures shown photographically
on here, if only it were economical.

As you point out, so much to be learned. And so few opportunities now in the
UK to learn it all.  And, realistically, relatively few career opportunities
in the UK for those who ARE willing and able to learn it all. I'm a boy
(50!) up in Scotland (as you know) John, and some day when I'm down south, I
will arrange to look in on you long enough for you to show me one
fascinating piano thing properly.

Best regards,

David.

And here was me thinking I was only beginning June!  But then it's a
long long while from May to September and I'm nearer October...

>  And those that there are, are not substantial employers and
>trainers of others. It is not economically possible for them to be.
>So the number of training places available with good rebuilders in
>the UK is vanishingly small.

As a matter of fact I'm seriously considering taking on an apprentice
who really wants to learn the trade thoroughly and stick at it.  In
fact there are very few restorers in England of any quality and what
people learn at the few schools there are, or have been, is very
superficial.

I had a girl (30!) down from London last week for three days, who
works with some colleages of mine there for whom I do a bit of work,
and she's coming again in July, when we'll talk a bit more about the
long term, but I don't know yet how committed she is.  There's so
much to learn and it's no trade for the part-timer, let alone the
botcher.

Alicia is welcome to visit us when she's in England.

Here's an article I've just uploaded showing upright damper recovering:

<http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/upright_dampers/>

JD