Samick is crap?

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 4 08:06:04 MDT 2008

The dealer I used to work for sold Samicks for many years.  I started
working there in 1988, and my first experience with them was that all the
keys had to be eased, right out of the box.  Apparently, the wood was dried
down too much, and the keys would swell from the moisture.  It was my first
job in the piano business.  I learned to tune on Samicks.  Though the pins
were often ridiculously tight, they were very consistent.  Over the next 6
years or so, the Samick  pianos got better and better.  They finally fixed
the key problem, and I really thought they were a good value for the money.
Klaus Fenner had been redesigning their pianos, and the tone was really
good.  Parts were easily available.  We sold the "crap" out of them.
What happened in the mid '90's was the Asian economic flu.  The Korean
economy collapsed, and there was no cash flow.  Samick moved manufacturing
to Indonesia.  The pianos went to hell in a handbasket.  I swear the wood
was so green, you could plant a keystick and grow a tree.  Keysticks
warped, quality went way down.  They came out with new models which were
nothing like the one's I'd seen.  We stopped selling them.
Over the subsequent years, frankly Samick has made a dramatic comeback.
Though we don't carry them anymore, I wish we did.  The quality is back,
and their factory also produces many of the famous brands we all know.  And
they are really stellar now.  The SMC Corp. is like Aeolian was, with a
GM-like family of brands.  They gobbled up Young Chang, but had to disgorge
after the Korean government pressed antitrust issues against that.
My point is, Samick has had some challenges, put out some bad stuff,
whatever, but don't count them out.  The Samick line is only one of many
models they produce.  Like in cars, there are good and better models
produced in the same factory.  And, in case you don't like Korean-produced
pianos, they have relocated to the US for their production.  They found it
cheaper to produce here than in Korea.  I just wish all these businesses
that left would do that.  Give them a break.
	JMHO.
	Paul McCloud, RPT
	San Diego

Paul McCloud