question (Pin Tite vs. CA)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 23:09:30 MDT 2008

At 09:49 PM 6/3/2008, Marshall wrote:
>Hi Everyone,
>I'm interested to know how CA and Pin -Tite differ?  How do they affect the pin-block and how do
>they differ in chemical makeup?  Which is easier to correct if damage is caused?
>Marshall G

Pin-Tite is essentially the stuff they use for anti-freeze in cars. It makes the wood fibers swell which in the short-term may create more friction for the tuning pin, but it does not add any mass or density to the wood. It just puffs the wood up. Which weakens the wood structure in the long-term, because the wood density is actually reduced... CA (CyanoAcrylate) glue seeps into the wood and hardens there - adding mass and density to the wood, which strengthens it.

Israel Stein