too much mass

Barbara Richmond piano57 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 3 20:41:24 MDT 2008

Howdy,

I just wanted to make a general comment on what a HUGE difference (tonally
and touch-wise) can be made when one or some of these things are corrected.

A Knabe console was transformed into a different piano (according to the
owners) when I corrected the overly strong damper spring adjustment--the
touch originally was way too heavy and the repetition poor with the keys
getting stuck now and then.   I've corrected too-strong damper springs in a
number of pianos.  The clue is a heavy, springing-back at you feel--though
the heaviness can also feel like the damper lift is too soon.  Personally,
I've
run into more pianos with damper spring issues than hammer spring
issues--though you can be sure if there are bobbling hammers,
everything gets looked  at.

A few years ago I did a complete regulation on an eight year old Samick
console that had had no dealer prep.  There were three main culprits--the
balance rail holes needed reaming (too tall), the dampers springs were too
strong <and> the damper timing was too early.  That piano certainly came
alive with the touch corrected and a little voicing.

A Yamaha P-22 was transformed with key work (taking care of tight
bushings and balance holes)--not only was the touch nicer,
but the piano's voicing opened up and there was more power.  I also spent
some time regulating and voicing--but I'm convinced the keywork made the
biggest difference on that one.

For the first time this month, I found a new piano in which the damper lift
is too late.  The dealer pointed the piano out to me saying that she thought
it felt like an electronic keyboard...

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, IL