CA Glue for pin blocks

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Tue Jun 3 04:57:57 MDT 2008

Subject: RE: CA Glue for pin blocks

Johnathan,

Not you're not repeating yourself...
I've never used CA glue on tuning pinns and wouldn't recoomend doing so.. I
know a technician who has with disasterous results. I use "Pin Tite" myself
to chemically treat pinblocks, and I must say it does wonders. It's about
$25-30 a bottle of 8oz and lasts for a few pianos. I have crossed a
Wurlitzer recently the owner told me that a technician used CA on it a bit
while ago, after trying to set the temperament I fully refused to tune the
piano, pins were jumping and every blow i gave a key, pin slipped...

Alicia

 Alica,

            First let me make it clear that I consider CA treatment for
loose tuning pins a tool to be used only when pinblock replacement is not an
option.

Case in point a few years ago in my practice was a  5’ grand of no great
distinction in a cash strapped school.Even If they had the money it will
NEVER be rebuilt

            and this piano was untunable .

CA treatment has put this piano back in service with one hour’s labor and
$12.00 in material.

            If you are a Guild member you must remember a treatise on CA
treatment that made the cover of the Piano Technicians Journal.

            You posted your opinion to a list of 400 piano technicians many
of which have used this technique when appropriate with great success.

            You know a tech----An owner told you----- This blanket
condemnation to Johnathon based on essentially anecdotal evidence is not
productive in my opinion.

            This Wurlie could have had some earlier contamination ,the tech
may have used the wrong viscosity or poor technique or maybe did everything
right and the block was too far gone.

            Alica, your opinion is welcome but in this case but I
respectfully submit you are off base on this one.

            Again, I’m not splashing the stuff on every piano,but I suggest
a check of the  archives will reveal an overwhelming  list of positive
reports .

            Respectfully,

            Tom Driscoll RPT

            P.S.  Your last name is considered appropriate list etiquette

Checked by AVG.
7:12 AM

Checked by AVG.
7:12 AM