Rebuilding Henry

Will Truitt surfdog at metrocast.net
Tue Jun 3 05:33:24 MDT 2008

I think that Del and Ron Overs make an excellent point.  A lot of these old
Millers  were built like tanks (Dale's photo of the rim without the board in
is surely evidence of that).   But, as Dale pointed out, they were poorly
scaled both in string scaling and board design.  If you rebuild them with
original boards (as many have done, including me) the result is going to be
limited and disappointing.  I've seen a number of Millers with new boards in
them where the rebuilder essentially duplicated what the factory did 100
years ago.  Better, but still retaining the worst aspects of poor design.

In this case, it could be argued that putting a new board in one of these
old Millers without redesigning the board, stringing scale, and as much else
as possible would be of questionable value.  You are still spending the same
amount of money (a lot) as you would if doing a quality piano such as a
Steinway or Mason & Hamlin and giving the customer what you know up front
from experience will be  a limited result.

Rebuilders like Del, Dale, Terry, and Rons Nossaman and Overs have a wealth
of accumulated experience doing this sort of redesign work.  As such, they
can approach a prospective client and argue confidently that redesigning the
family no-name grand offers the best value in restoration when certain
fundamentals are good and they know from experience that they can get a good
result if proper design and quality workmanship are applied.  The customer
is going to have a high quality musical instrument when the piano is done.
And, as Del points out, if the finished piano knocks your socks off, then
you have a far more obvious and undeniable accomplishment in the ears of
your peers, as well as your own.

For the same reasons, pianos like this offer a good place to cut your teeth
on this kind of redesign work.  These kinds of pianos are around, and can be
had for little to no money.  They offer a place where you can experiment and
have the opportunity to fail (and learn) with far less consequence than with
a customer's piano.   Better yet;  enlist the expertise of  one of these
talented pianomen,  work with them to rebuild a really improved piano, and
expand your own knowledge base exponentially in the process.  How could that
be a bad thing?

How good can it be?  What are the limits?  This is a far more interesting
question to me on a piano like Dale's Henry F. Miller than its pedigreed
brethren.

Will Truitt