CA Glue for pin blocks

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 2 21:12:14 MDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 7:04 PM, Jonathan Best <jb at bubblemusic.com> wrote:

> I'm new to this list and I'm not sure if I sent this before I was actually
> signed up.  So I hope I'm not repeating myself.  Has anybody had any
> experience using CA glue on pin blocks and subsequently restringing?  How do
> the pins feel after a treatment?  Do they jump? How long does it last? And
> if they do start losing their hold after a few years, or if the job turns
> out to be one of the 10% that doesn't work, can one still go back to simply
> restringing?
> Thanks
>
> Jonathan Best
> Prescott, AZ
>
>   Jonathan Best
> jb at bubblemusic.com
> 928-830-4887
> www.bubblemusic.com

Hi Jonathan,

I'm not certain what happened to the piano Alicia describes since we don't
have a first-hand report from the person who did the application.
I would agree with Don, I have never tried nor heard of anyone restringing a
piano that had been treated with CA without replacing the pinblock.

I can ascertain that until about 8 or 10 years ago I had not used CA on a
pinblock but had only used Pin-Tite since I have begun using CA the bottle
of Pin-Tite I had purchased has been sitting still unopened on the shelf.
Being careful to offer humidity where there may be very little or none
available when applying CA is a must for a positive result.
IMHO waiting overnight to tune the piano also gives a better result as the
CA has a full 12 hours or more to cure, I have seen those on this list that
tune within an hour of application, which is their choice. I prefer to give
the application plenty of time to cure and for the fumes to evaporate before
I'm trapped next to it for a tuning! <G>

Mike

--
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch
excellence.

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404