Insecurity--was: too picky about tuning

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Jun 2 10:20:58 MDT 2008

> no matter how insecure we might feel about our work.

Why? Habit?  Ignorance?

What IS up with this "I feel guilty taking your money for my unworthy
work" attitude that so many piano technicians seem to have?
Alan Eder

I'll tell ya what's up: doubt kills strength, confidence, power, and
pleasure; habitual doubt is a toxic, dangerous mental program or
habit.  When you are insecure
---people can feel it
---it dulls your ability to be clear and focused
---it kills the pleasure of the task in the moment
---it focuses your attention on the self-generated internal dialogue
rather than the interesting and challenging task at hand
---it allows you to make stupid decisions, like giving away time and
effort for free when you need to be supporting yourself and your
family, and consistently undervaluing your worth, the value you bring
in people's lives.

Doubt kills the warrior spirit inside of you. It infects everything
in your life.

1. Do you see yourself as an artisan, a professional, a craftsperson?

2. Do you generally do the best job you can do?

If yes, then STOP with the doubt and insecurity. You're doing a
better job on this planet than a vast majority of humans that live
here or have lived here.  If your clients don't respect you, fire
them. Or suffer. Your choice.

It's that clear and stark. It really is.

David Andersen