too picky about tuning

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Jun 2 09:55:44 MDT 2008

Hi David

Hard to judge these things from afar to be sure. That said... depending
on the piano, its climate and the usage level an instrument can hold a
quite nice tuning for quite a stretch... sometimes well into a two month
period. What does the  <<quite nice tuning>> mentioned above actually
mean ??  Good enough for most any concert situation by just about any
pianist. Misunderstand me correctly... this is not to say the tuning
could not be tweaked and sweetened... even more then just a smidgen. But
it does mean that octaves, temperament and unisons should be more then
acceptable.

Qualifiers !!.... very stable climate, very good piano, and a darned
accomplished piano technician... and last but not least... reasonable
low usage levels.

All this said... I run into the kind of customer you mentioned on rare
occasion as well.  We all do I suppose. What can you do ?... Fool me
once .... etc.  I go out of my way to meet a customers need... but go
out of my way to make sure that when a customer is trying to misuse me
it becomes very quickly obvious to both that this is the case.

Cheers
RicB